Magazine review...

I see these 'gossip magazines' and occasionally want to cover my face in a moment of British shame, but the articles within are often from other parts of the world as well. It's still embarrassing.


What I want to say is the obvious, which is constantly overlooked; this magazine and the themes it promotes do NOT represent all Pagans. But since there are some Pagan-related articles, I thought I'd sweep through and give my penny's worth. Most of these kind of publications seem to be geared toward a schadenfreude; the twisted enjoyment some feel from another's misfortune. The stories are often emotionally charged and seem to be aimed at women. When I see the cover stories of these popular prints, they are horrifying, it's all murder, rape, incest, cheating partners, abortions, murder.. you get the picture. They seem to be not only aimed at women but also written and edited by women too- is there an equivalent for men? Not that I'm aware, I think male news leans more toward sport, film and weight training. Even the everyday newspapers are not this graphic or indulgent. These mags focus on suffering. Being popular they must have a large fan base.

The edition I bought this morning is more of a spiritual print and has more positive themes running through it. One of my kids was off school ill so I ended up actually sitting down today, as a rule I never buy any mags at all but once in a blue moon I take a look.

On the cover, the line that grabbed my attention is; Aliens helped me to change sex. Again; this trans guy does NOT represent all trans people. And aliens are not usually a Pagan subject. He talks of the pleiades, a cluster of stars known as the Seven Sisters. There are more than seven stars in this group, some of us short sighted beans can only count about five. As a celestial object, it is part of at least one human tribe's history. I read a book over 20 years ago, I believe it was called The Sirius Mystery by Robert Temple, a classic conspiracy theory book which started off nicely about the pleiades, then went off on a tangent about ancient Egypt and a load of other stuff. The trans man in this article believes he has had contact with aliens and has interpreted this in a positive way. I'm not into aliens myself, I think there must be life out there other than on the Earth but unless it turns up within the British Isles with a free buffet, it can stay at arms length!

The headline murderer's ghost wanted to marry me so my man had to die. Pull the other one. Even one of my kids pointed out after glancing at the page that the couple were using a ouija board, so it wasn't as if a spirit was stalking them; they were actively encouraging it and freaking themselves out. I've never used a Ouija, never needed to- that's a different blog post.

Of the 62 page magazine, around 9 pages were Pagan, with a ton of other stuff such as Zodiac predictions/astrology, oracles, hauntings, strange events and a story about what was probably a serial killer in 1950 Vermont but 'looks like' it could be a Bigfoot or paranormal thing.

There is a nice two page spread about Eostre, our Spring festival said to be named after a Teutonic Goddess here, but I have also read elsewhere that it is a corruption of the name of Goddess Ishtar.

There are a few pages about crystals and charms but they are presented as more of an Occult practice than a Pagan one. It doesn't bother me personally, I've studied various aspects of all 'magik' and Old Religion for years- but it is less fulfilling when there is no God to give a framework of stability around the working. It can confuse some people when there are different 'rules' or traditions for what would otherwise be the same thing.

As people who worship nature, we use things within nature which are said to have particular qualities; colour therapy and the power of essential oils are understood on a scientific level now. Crystals and other forms of energy work or alternative healing are still being investigated.

According to research in a book by Dr Pauline Hili- Thyme oil will kill/inhibit 100% of yeast growth (based on tests with four different kinds of yeast). I'd best not use that in my homebrew then. It was also pretty good at killing e.coli bacteria. This is food for thought for me because it implies that leaves and spices may be difficult or impossible to ferment. On the other hand- could eating thyme leaves be a possible cure or comfort regarding some kinds of food poisoning?

To get back to the Gods... I am polytheistic, normal for heathens, it is the belief in many gods and goddesses. They are best described as each belonging to either a human archetype or a force of nature, so we have gods of the ocean, of water, of war, of love and woodland and so on. They are the experts, the teachers and the holders of knowledge. Once we follow their path we are drawn to their character and attributes, like water droplets forming a pool, we naturally find ourselves among likeminded people, books, art, etc. We do not become the gods, we are drawn to those who best represent our lives at the time. This can change; we grow, we branch out.

Alongside the families of gods we also believe in an energy called Spirit, which I think I've mentioned before is like the one God of monotheistic religions, it has no gender to us and it's character is in all things, patterns and energy. Some divide this Spirit into passive and active forms like the concept of Yin and Yang. I view it as being like the electricity that powers everything, but it can carry different flavours.

My tea has gone. I'm done with my review and doubt I'll look at these gossip magazines for another four years.

Blessed Be

V.






Comments