Recycle Project; a shelf.




It's not the flashiest bit of decor but I was after something for storage and being stuck indoors at the moment, an idea I had to recycle some bits of packaging has now materialised.

  I like to keep bits of packing from home delivery, rather than binning envelopes and sheets of paper etc if there's a way to store them for future use, I'll put them aside. In this case there are a few bits of wood laying around and since we have glue guns I wondered if I could make a shelf with them. Simply gluing the sticks together may not be stable enough so I've also glued some garden type twine around the whole shelf to make it stronger and also so I don't have to paint it. The twine hides the glue as well!

  I'm really pleased with the result, it's given me a sense of achievement at a bad time. Art and craft have always meant a lot to me and I'm glad I've been able to use it while in lockdown due to Covid-19.

  Buying a simple ready made shelf may have been a bit cheaper but the brackets are always cheap and sometimes split when made of wood. I once put up around 18 shelves in a previous home to store my books higher up, away from children and pets. Currently we have floor standing book cases, and just this one shelf. The brackets I bought online are made of iron and can be re-used in the future.

three bits of packing support

using a glue gun to stick them together


adding the black twine for strength

I fixed the iron brackets onto the wall and laid the shelf onto this. I haven't fixed the shelf to the brackets.

The finished craft!
   I've decided to avoid putting anything onto this that could spill, so no liquids or houseplants, definitely no lit candles. The bottle pictured here for the photograph is 100ml of ginger essential oil, something I've found to be indespensible for pain relief.

  I have a couple more recycle projects in mind, to use up more packing in a useful way. I'm hoping to write about them here in the next couple of weeks.

V.B North of England, UK April 2020

Comments